Suzanne S. DeFerie
President and Chief Executive Officer
Suzanne S. DeFerie has served as President and Chief Executive Officer of Asheville Savings Bank since January, 2008 and its holding company, ASB Bancorp, Inc since its incorporation in May, 2011. She also serves as a member of the boards of directors for both Asheville Savings Bank and ASB Bancorp, Inc. Prior to becoming CEO, Ms. DeFerie was Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of the Bank for 16 years.
A native of Lenoir, North Carolina, she is a graduate of Appalachian State University, holds a CPA license and was employed by Deloitte and Touche as a Senior Audit Manager prior to joining Asheville Savings Bank in 1991.
Ms. DeFerie is active in the banking industry and the Asheville community, currently serving in the following capacities:
- North Carolina member director of the Federal Home Loan Bank of Atlanta
- Member of the Community Depository Institutions Advisory Council for the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond
- 2015-2016 Chair of the Asheville Area Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors
- 2013-2014 Chair of the United Way of Asheville and Buncombe County Board of Directors
- Secretary and Executive Committee member of the Board of Directors of Mission Health System
- Member of the Economic Development Coalition of Asheville- Buncombe County Board of Directors
Formerly, Ms. DeFerie served as a member of the Mission Foundation Board of Trustees and Audit Committee Chair, Co-Chair of the 2011 Asheville 5x5 Economic Development campaign, 2010 United Way Campaign Chair, and board member and Treasurer of the Board of Directors of the Asheville Area Habitat for Humanity. She is also a graduate of Leadership Asheville, former board member of the Black Mountain Center Foundation and past president of the Asheville Breakfast Rotary Club.